And here is my finished desk!
Let me remind you what I started with …
I started with the drawers, firstly glueing all the cracked drawers, then sanding and giving them an undercoat and a couple of overcoats of Antique White USA. The insides of the drawers were very dirty so they were also sanded and painted.
The desk had no handles or hardware, so I purchased keyhole faceplates for the top drawers, which I spray painted black and attached. I painted some wooden drawer knobs white and attached rub ons for the graphics, then gave them a coat of Modge Podge to protect them.
The lower 4 drawers I purchased these cute black scolloped drawer pulls.
The body of the desk required a good sanding and cleaning. Then was given an undercoat and 2 overcoats.
The top of the desk I decided to sand all the blue paint off down to the raw wood, then applied 3 coats of black stain and varnish to show through the natural wood.
As a finishing touch I added this adorable turquoise polkadot laminate to the insides of the drawers.
In the end I decided not to distress the paint as I actually liked the neat look of the finished paint.
I’m thrilled with the outcome of my first big project!
Just a reminder, I went from this …
It’s a keeper! 🙂